▪ How to make an order in restaurant?
▪ How to buy coffee in Tim Hortons?
▪ Menu of Starbucks/McDonald’s
▪ What’s your favorite food in your country? Describe how to make it. (For writing
practice, students can write a recipe for their favorite food.)
▪ What are your favorite foods here in Canada? Are there any foods here you don’t
Key Points: Food name, ingredients, menu read.
▪ How to open/close an account in bank?
▪ What is the account type and how about the bank fee?
▪ How to ask for multiple language assistance?
▪ How to use online banking and phone bank?
▪ Credit card etc.
Key Points: bank account name, credit card usage, bills payment.
▪ Stereotypes of Canadian schools?
▪ Classes and general requirements of different schools.
▪ How to find your dream school and enroll in?
▪ Study life and schoolmates
Key Points: grades name, subjects, education importance, and Canadian school life.
▪ Car parts diagram
▪ Terms of driving on the road, and makes of some popular cars.
▪ How to deal with a car accident? And how to deal with different type of tickets.
▪ How to inquire about car insurance?
Key Points: terms of frequently used parts of a car.
▪ How to ask sales person to help find right thing/size/color you need?
▪ How to do refund/exchange?
▪ How to read and take use of coupons?
Key Points: vocabularies of clothes/fashion brands, color, style,design.
▪ What kind of chores do you have to do in Canada? Who do it?
▪ When you were growing up in your country, what chores did your parents do?
▪ Which chores were for men and which for women?
▪ Do people still have to do those chores now? Why or why not?
▪ What do you like to do when you’re not working?
▪ Do you play any sport?
▪ What’s the most popular sport in your country? Is it popular here?
▪ What’s the best job you ever had? Why was it good?
▪ What’s the worst job you ever had? Why was it bad?
Describe dating customs in your country. What’s appropriate? What’s not?
▪ How is dating different in the United States?
▪ How do people celebrate weddings in your country? Describe a wedding you
attended — your own or someone else’s.
▪ In your country, what role do children play in the family? Do they do household
chores or help families earn money?
▪ Should teenagers work at paying jobs, or focus entirely on school?
▪ Do children in your country help make any family decisions?
▪ How do you think children’s lives are different in the United States?
▪ What are the most important holidays in your country? How do people celebrate
▪ Which holiday is your favorite? Why?
▪ Do you celebrate any American holidays? Which one do you like best? Why?
More Topics reference to: http://iteslj.org/questions/ The Internet TESL Journal.